Saying Farewell With Dignity

Betsy Davis has ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and is dying. Don't cry. She is hosting a farewell party like no other. The 41 year old California artist will be taking advantage of California's doctor assisted suicide law.

An #ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) automatically qualifies you for Medicare coverage. 

People with Lou Gehrig's disease automatically get Medicare Part A and B the month their disability starts. (Page 24 of Medicare Basics pamplet).

Does #Medicare pay for ALS treatment?motorized wheelchair

Original Medicare allows you to use any doctor, clinic or hospital anywhere in the country. There are no networks.

 

Saying Farewell When You Have ALS – A Party Like No Other

Saying goodbye to a friend or family member is never easy, Betsy Davis decided to do it in style.

Betsy Davis emailed her closest friends and relatives to invite them to a two-day party, telling them: "These circumstances are unlike any party you have attended before, requiring emotional stamina, centeredness and openness."

There are no rules. Wear what you want, speak your mind, dance, hop, chant, sing, pray, but do not cry in front of me. Chicago Tribune

A wake is for the living, after you have passed on.

But a celebration party is entirely different. We think Betsy's story is inspiring and touching. Follow the link above for full details.

 

Paying for Treatment When You Have Lou Gehrig's disease

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis is a rare disease with fewer than 20,000 cases diagnosed every year in the United States.There is no cure and medications may only extend your life by 3 months.

The average length of survival from diagnosis to death is less than 4 years.

If you need a motorized wheelchair Medicare will cover the cost subject to certain conditions.

  • Your doctor will have to write the DME (Durable Medical Equipment) order
  • Your wheelchair must be ordered through a Medicare authorized DME provider
  • You can get a list of authorized providers at Medicare.gov
  • Durable medical equipment is covered by Medicare Part B
  • Riluzole (approved treatment for ALS) is covered by Medicare Part D

Once you have satisfied your Part B deductible Medicare will pay 80% of the approved amount, you are responsible for the remaining 20%. Medicare supplement plans F and G pay the 20% balance for you.

button medigap plan g rates

Need help finding a Medigap plan? If you are turning 65 and are confused about your Medicare options, give us a call. 

Bob Vineyard, owner of Georgia Medigap Plans has over 40 years experience in the health insurance industry and is himself enrolled in Medicare. With over 170 different plans to pick from, how do you find the one that is right for you?

We can help.

 

Georgia Resources When you have ALS

If you live in Georgia and have Lou Gehrig's disease you may find these resources helpful.

  • ALS Association – The ALS Association is dedicated to providing you and your family and friends with information, support and resources you need to live a fuller life and better meet the daily challenges of living with ALS
  • ALS Georgia –  No matter a patient’s situation, the ALS Association of Georgia is available to provide vital services and reliable information.
  • DME Loan Program – Donated Hoyer lifts, slings, motorized wheelchairs and more
  • Emory Healthcare – Full service "soup to nuts" approach to treating Lou Gehrig's disease
  • ALS Facebook Page – To empower, care for and support all those living with ALS in Georgia, while advocating for a cure.

This is not a comprehensive list but is a start. If you know of other resources please let us know.

 

#ALS #AmyotrophicLateralSclerosis #LouGehrigsDisease #Medicare #Turning65

Speak Your Mind

*